onsdag 6 mars 2024

New Knife - Al Mar SERE T36

It's now four years since I reviewed the last iteration of this Al Mar classic. It was a good knife and more than approved by me, but I still felt it didn't quite live up to its more iconic predecessors. But sometimes a knife just needs a few minor upgrades to transform from "decent" to something really great. It has now happened!

In that review, I briefly described the background of Al Mar's S.E.R.E model. The time has come for another chapter in that story called SERE T36.

Al Mar SERE T36

The name suggests that something happened but not how much. The "T" says that the production of this and some other models has been moved from China to Taiwan. This has not only resulted in a higher production quality but also in a series of material and technology improvements.

As for the materials, both the blade and the handle are upgraded. The blade now features S35VN steel with a TiNi coating to compare with earlier D2 and some simpler versions of blackening.

Furthermore, the handle sides are still made of G10 but now in a coarser version that offers more traction. Thus, it is also an improvement.

SERE Folder is one of the original "tactical" folding knives, now still going strong or maybe even better than before

One technical change, is that the disliked spring assist is gone. With better tolerances and not least ball bearings, which were not in the predecessor, it is not needed. Although it must be admitted that the flipper geometry is not the best on the market. But it's good enough. 

The clip has also been slightly tweaked both in terms of form and function. Whether it's for the better or worse remains to be seen.

In addition, the steel frame has been lightened with milled pockets. The flipper tab has received the same treatment, although I suspect that that detail is purely cosmetic so that you can see that it is a "T-model".

However, the dimensions are identical and, as is so often the case with Al Mar, the number in the name says something about the blade length, in this case, 3.6 inches, which loosely translates to nine centimeters and some millimeters. The handle is substantial and can be handled by all hand sizes and with gloves on if required.

With these changes, I hope and believe that a very good knife has now regained its former glory and can measure up to its own shadow. This knife breathes "old" Al Mar but in a modern take.

Al Mar

/ J - more than happy

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar