lördag 20 juli 2024

New Knife - QSP Unicorn

Let me introduce a knife from QSP named Unicorn. It's one of my latest knives from a favorite brand and as the name suggests, it's a bit rare. The animal is known to be notoriously difficult to find and the same applies if the search area is limited to my knife collection even though I own at least one other knife model with the same name.

QSP Unicorn unicorn as it arrives. They are among the few companies that actually have the actual knife on the accompanying sketch


What is odd in my case is neither the opening method, the lock nor the materials. The knife opens with a blade hole, well or barely but we can come back to that, which is one of my favorite ways to lure a knife blade out. There is also a flipper tab for those who want to use one instead. It was the first box checked in the list for trendy knives, alternative ways to get the blade out.

Also, "button locks" aren't new anymore, even if QSP wasn't the first with them they tried it before.* But they're trendy! It was box number two checked.

Then there were the materials. Steel is found in the clip and Micarta is found in the handle, which is one of my favorite materials. The knife is also available with two-tone G10 in several combinations for those who prefer other materials. The blade steel is not surprising either, 14C28N is a frequently used steel with recognized good properties for the price range.

QSP Unicorn


So many more materials are not present except possibly the ceramic in the bearings and the detent ball. Nor are the drilled holes in the handle completely original. QSP has done it before in, for example, its Canary series.

No, what is a bit odd is the blade shape. Certainly called a drop point and maybe technically it is, but in that case, it is damn close to what is usually called a straight blade. In this case, it gives a broad blade with a strongly pronounced belly and not so much of a tip. A shape I don't usually prefer on my knives.**

Most of the time, my EDC knives are somewhat pointier and don't have as wide blades. But this one might pleasantly surprise me, who knows? However, the handle is very comfortable to hold so there is at least a good base to stand on.

I'll be back with a report on how this fantasy horse compares to other animals in the knife collection.

QSP Knife


/ J - in search for mythical beasts


* My first personal experience with that type of lock came from a Böker Speedlock from the late nineties.
** Although of course, I have a number with a similar shape, not least the Two Sun Dynamo

#knivesandbikes #knivigtvarre 

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar