torsdag 5 januari 2023

The second year

- a summary of my knife-throwing 2022


I have understood that at the beginning of the new year 2023, it is time to look back with a slight nostalgic touch before boldly tackling the new. It is simply the time of the summaries and I shall not be so opposed that I do not make an attempt at it myself.

At the outset, I would like to point out that the numbers will overlap a bit from last year, as I have chosen to equate "throwing year" with the calendar year for the sake of simplicity. The reason I didn't initially was that I started knife throwing in April of the first year.

A new acquaintance for the throwing year 2022, The Iron Mistress from Zitoon Knives


In summary, it can be stated that this year the intensity has gone in waves and things that affected were apart from the weather, for example, training before the Swedish championships and the online competition Aim Games K19 "The River". However, that competition was canceled due to unfortunate circumstances for the organizer when his wife tragically passed away.




Then late fall/early winter was a very mild period here which allowed for some knife throwing. After that, however, it came to a screeching halt when King Bore, unfortunately, made his entrance in grand style and made all throwing impossible throughout December. This is despite the fact that a number of new knives steamed into the Småland fir forest. I envy those who have the opportunity to train indoors!

With the same presentation as last year, the figures for 2023 will be:

  • 389 hours, divided into
  • 161 sessions, which resulted in
  • 153453 throws
In all simplicity, it can be noted that these are slightly smaller volumes compared to the first year. But generally it is because I have further to my current throwing area and that the knife throwing looked a little different. Among other things, the K19 throwing means that you only use one knife and the results are also filmed, which results in fewer throws per hour. The distance to my throwing range, in turn, means that there will be fewer training opportunities, but that in return they tend to be somewhat longer.

As for the personal bests, several of them have been improved and some remain at the old levels for various reasons. One is that it simply wasn't thrown at them. But in the "heavy" disciplines including Walk back, real progress has been made. In numbers, it looks like this:

  • Walk back (3-7m), rotational: 258 p
  • Walk back (3-7m), no spin: 219 p
  • Points, rotational throwing:
  • 3 m: 104 p
  • 5 m: 99 p
  • 7 m: 80 p
  • Points, no spin:
  • 3 m: 96 p
  • 5 m: 86 p
  • 7 m: 70 p
  • Longest throw, rotational: 11 m
  • Longest throw, no spin: 10,38 m

Then this training resulted in a surprising but very successful result for me at the Swedish Championships 2022, I managed to win no less than 8 (!) medals and three silver plaques. In rotational throwing, I took all the silvers at the distances 3 m, 5 m, 7 m and Walk Back, and in no spin, I took all the golds, of which the most prestigious "Walk Back" allows me to title myself Swedish champion in the discipline.

Swedish champion in no spin 2022 and my winning weapon was the Acejet Raven II


So now it remains to be seen what 2023 can conceivably offer. I greatly depend on the weather when and how the season starts. It is complicated to throw on frozen targets and it is not possible to throw with any accuracy in either snow or too much slush. Therefore, I long for spring and warmth for several reasons. On the one hand, I'm really keen on throwing, and on the other hand, I have a bunch of new knives to test. Reviews of them will follow.

The big goals this year are otherwise to try to defend the title in the Swedish championships and, if the financial resources are sufficient, get me to the WC in France. It will be launched in June in Vitre. 


/ J - throwing machine in the making

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar